The City of Shelbyville is responsible for the stormwater quality that drains from properties into our storm sewer system and discharges to state waters.
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System
As part of the Stormwater Phase II Regulations, the City of Shelbyville was required to apply to the State of Kentucky Division of Water for a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit. The five-year permit was granted to the City of Shelbyville in March 2003. Under this permit, the City of Shelbyville is mandated to improve water quality from our storm system or MS4.
The permit requires the City address six areas or control measures. The six control measures are:
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management, and Pollution Prevention
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
Several tasks and activities have been identified within each control measure. The ultimate goal of each control measure is to reduce the impact stormwater has on our local receiving streams.